- Submissions may be made at any time and will be considered for the next issue. Email is the preferred mode of submission in all genres, and will be acknowledged on receipt.
- We do not consider previously published work (including online – blogs, websites, ezines), or, with the exception of short stories, simultaneous submissions.
- Our usual response time is no longer than four months, and contributors should not submit further work until advised of the fate of earlier submissions.
- Please send as a Word attachment (doc or docx) to the relevant editor: art, essays, fiction, poetry or reviews. If submissions are being made in more than one genre, send each separately.
- Files should contain a cover-page which includes the date, your name, email address, postal address, and the title/s of the work. Your name should appear on every page of the submission.
- If you do not have access to email, please include a covering letter with above information, and a stamped self-addressd envelope for reply. (Submissions without either an email address or SSAE will be destroyed unread.) Put your name, the title of the work and the page number on each page, and post to: takahē, PO Box 13 335, Christchurch 8141, New Zealand.
- Overseas Submissions will only be accepted by email, as New Zealand Post no longer accepts IRCs (International Reply Coupons). Foreign stamps and/or cash are not acceptable alternatives.
- Quote your name, the title/s of your submission, and the date it was sent with any subsequent enquiry.
Copyright statement: With acceptance of work for publication, the writer cedes first publication rights in print and/or online to the Takahē Collective Board. The Takahē Collective Board reserves the right to archive issues of takahē on its website. Copyright reverts to the author on publication. If the work is subsequently republished elsewhere, acknowledgement of the original publisher/publication should be made. Contributors are responsible for obtaining copyright clearance for direct quotation from the work of others.
Grants from Creative New Zealand Toi Aotearoa enable us to make a small payment to local contributors for work published. Overseas contributors may opt for payment via PayPal, or put their fee towards a subscription. All contributors receive one free copy of the issue in which their work appears.
- Arts content is selected by invitation of the Arts Editor.
- No unsolicited submissions, please.
- The editor invites essays, especially creative non-fiction and works of cultural criticism, between 1000 and 2500 words. Unsolicited submissions longer than this will not be considered.
- Preference will be given to writing that critically engages with or analyses culture or cultural practice in New Zealand and the South Pacific. Works of memoir and personal essays that do not include such content are unlikely to be considered for publication.
- The essay may, at the discretion of the editor, include black and white photographs or illustrations, but the contributor is responsible for ensuring that the relevant copyright clearances have been obtained. Essays accompanied by such images may be no longer than 2000 words.
- We prefer to publish fiction between 1500 and 3000 words. Stories up to 5000 words may be considered for publication in the online magazine only.
- Please submit no more than two stories at a time.
- We are now accepting simultaneous submissions for short stories and flash fiction. Please let us know as soon as your story is accepted elsewhere. Thank you.
We are now taking flash fiction as well as longer stories. Here are the rules
- Flash fiction submissions should be between 200 and 500 words long.
- Flash fiction will only be published in our on-line issues. Currently our on-line issue comes out in August, so ideally submissions should be made between April and June.
- Please submit no more than 4 stories at one time.
- Please note that we will ONLY publish 4 stories in each on-line issue
- Submissions are accepted year-round, but selections will be made during three reading periods – January, May and September.
For the shortest delay in response, submit just before each reading period starts (December, April, August).
- Please submit no more than six poems.
- Reviews are solicited by the Reviews Editor.
- Books for review may be sent to:
takahē, PO Box 13 335, Christchurch 8141, New Zealand.