Volunteer @ takahē
The takahē team are always on the lookout for volunteers to add skills to and enhance our great magazine.
Why volunteer for takahē?
We are passionate about getting work and voices out there, and publishing a high-quality magazine. We offer feedback to emerging writers. We are a growing magazine that has been around since 1989. We have a high calibre of team members who are located around Aotearoa, and are passionate about New Zealand art and literature.
We are only interested in volunteers who live in Aotearoa.
What skills do you need?
At the moment we are particularly looking for people to help with:
- Distribution of the magazine: a mail merge in April and December to post out magazines to subscribers, as well as once-offs after our print date.
- Fiction Readers: We are looking for Fiction Readers to join our team, and are particularly interested in Master students.This role would involve reading for two issues a year, around 10 pieces per issue. You would read allocated fiction (short story/flash fiction) submissions and provide a paragraph of feedback and a recommendation to accept/decline the piece. We are looking for people who love reading short stories, have experience with critiquing or workshopping short fiction and have a knowledge of craft.
- Copy Editors: Copy editors proof the content for errors and format the copy before layout. You’ll need a good sense of grammar and punctuation.
- Publicity: We need people who are passionate to spread the word about our great magazine and contributors. This will involve social media (a standard 2x posts a week), helping with launches, newsletters, and liaising with libraries and literary festivals.
- Website: We have a WordPress based site that needs content added from time to time with each issue.
What do I get in exchange for sharing my time and talent?
In exchange for your time working on the magazine, you will receive a subscription, merchandise, and the experience and networking of being involved in a great nationwide literary team.
How much time will this involve?
We publish in April, August, and December, so much of the workload revolves around these times, depending on the position. Hours are as much as you want to put in really – from an hour a week. We have a monthly whole team meeting via zoom to keep everyone on the same page.
Thanks for your interest.