First Prize: $300
Second Prize: $150
Entries to be received no later than Tuesday 31st August 2021
Results, the short-list and the winning poem will be published in the December issue – takahē 103 print/on-line issue, and all entries will be considered for publication.
The entry form can be found below after the conditions of entry. Please note that entrants will be automatically added to our mailout list to receive the occasional takahē newsletter unless you indicate otherwise.
This year our poetry competition will be judged by
John Allison’s poetry has appeared in numerous literary journals here and overseas. His fifth collection of poetry, A Place to Return To, was published by Cold Hub Press in August 2019. A chapbook of new poems, Near Distance, came out from the same publisher in October 2020. His poem “Father’s Axe, Grandfather’s Machete” was selected as one of 25 Best New Zealand Poems 2020.
Conditions of Entry:
- Each entry must be the original work of the person submitting it. Entries must not have been broadcast or published in any form (including webzines or personal blogs). If any entry is accepted for publication in any form or wins a prize in another competition before the results of the takahē 2021 competition are announced, it must be withdrawn. (There will be no refund of the entry fee).
- Maximum length for each poem submitted is 50 lines. Please enter the line count with your poem on the entry form. Poems longer than 50 lines will be disqualified.
- Entrants may submit as many previously unpublished poems as they wish, but each must be named separately on the entry form. Please use ONE entry form for all your poem
- Please use a separate document for each of your poems.
- The entry fee is $5 per poem.
- For subscribers, the fifth poem is free.
- Entries will be accepted by email only.
Pay the entry fee by direct credit to takahē Collective Trust
02-0800-0420716-00, Reference=surname, Particular=Poetry Competition.
- Email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attach your poems and entry form to the email. These must be Word or PDF documents (that is .doc or .docx or .pdf). Please do not send other types of file as we may not be able to read them.
- Attach a screenshot of your payment to your email making sure it shows the takahē Collective Trust account number and your surname.
- Overseas entrants ONLY may pay using our PayPal account. Please use the email email@example.com to access this and send the PayPal receipt with your entry(ies) and entry form, as an email attachment.
- The entrant’s name, initials or pseudonym must NOT appear on the poem(s) or the title of the files that contain your poems.
- Worldwide copyright of entries will remain with the author, but all entries received will be considered for publication in takahē magazine, unless they are withdrawn.
- The judge’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. Any entrant breaching this condition will be disqualified.
- The results and judge’s comments will be published in the December 2021 print/online issue of the magazine, available on our website https://www.takahe.org.nz. Only those placed will receive individual notification of the results.
- No member of the takahē board is eligible to enter the competition
- In the event of the competition being cancelled, entry fees will be refunded.